Monday, 10 July 2017

Sidewalks...we hardly have those

This morning I looked around from inside the car and noticed that there aren't sidewalks in the town I stay.

While from Namibia, I haven't travelled around the country much. Sure, the towns to which I have paid, often brief, visits also seemed to lack sidewalks. Given the short length of these visits it can be taken with some scepticism.

The lack of sidewalks is also present in some cities in South Africa. There, however, it is very rare. In fact, Pretoria where I stayed for a while, had areas of the city where you could comfortably walk on the sidewalk for several kilometers.

Sidewalks are important. It segregates cars and pedestrians. Given how little respect many drivers have for cars, a mutual disrespect between these parties, it is safer for everyone to have their designated space. Hope where you are you have an easier time navigating the city on a sidewalk separate from where cars drive...

No comments:

Post a Comment